Friday, September 21, 2012

Firework.

I always wanted a sister.
I have vivid memories of being a little girl, begging my mom to have another baby, but only if it was a girl. (I didn't quite realize at the time that parent's don't get to choose...). Growing up with two big brothers, I desperately wanted a sisterly companion. Little Women was one of my favorite books, and I would vicariously live my life through those characters (as I did most books I read as a kid), wishing that I at least had one sister to play with. I remember always feeling jealous of my friend's who had sisters, and I'll admit, even as I grew older and entered adult hood there has always been a twinge of envy when I see friends with their sisters and the close bond that they have. I think I always assumed that a sister meant having a built in best friend, and while I know that's not the truth in all cases, it definitely is true in most that I've seen. But that wasn't the Lord's plan for my life, and I'm more than okay with that. I was given two wonderful, artistic, somewhat insane but great older brothers who I'm very thankful for. I just wasn't meant to have a sister.
Biologically, that is. 
The first time Josh brought me home to meet his family, I was pretty nervous. Meeting the parents is an intimidating thing no matter what, but that wasn't what most worried me. I generally get a long with people, and was excited to meet the people Josh loved most...but I was really nervous about meeting Rachel. Josh had described Rachel to me as "the light of his life", and truly is his favorite person in the world. I was so nervous, knowing that I was about to meet his sister, and one of the most important people to him. But the Lord is so good. I was silly to be so nervous. I think I like the way that Josh puts it best:
Rachel is the best picture of unconditional love that I have seen on this earth.
She is the most joyful, loving, genuine person that I have ever met. From day one, Rachel displayed love and kindness in such an open way. It really doesn't matter who you are or what you do, Rachel just loves you. She is hilarious and has one of the best laughs you'll ever hear. She is imaginative, creative, and quirky in her own Rachel way. Rachel has Charge Syndrome
and because of it is partially deaf and blind. She uses sign language and my goodness, that girl is patient. She is a wonderful teacher and between her and Josh I'm slowly learning how to sign. She has probably had to tell me 500 times what the sign is for "name", but she never acts frustrated with me (even though I get frustrated with myself). She has 5 kiddos, (4 Teletubbies and a doll named Christine) and she is their mother, doctor, teacher, and fellow rockstar. She loves Harry Potter as much as Josh and I do, and she is just an incredibly joyful girl. I never would have imagined all those times I prayed for and dreamed of having a sister, the Lord would put Rachel in my life. When I say she is unconditional love, I mean that sincerely. She is such a beautiful reminder that if a human being could love us so well, how much more perfectly does our Heavenly Father love us. Makes you think, right?
One of my favorite things to do is watch Rachel sign and sing to her favorite songs, and one of these is "Firework", by Katy Perry. I've never been a Katy Perry fan, but now when I hear this song, I admit I turn it up. This may sound cheesy, but Rachel is totally a firework. She is bright, colorful, and big. Not big in physical stature, she's pretty tiny actually. But big in the sense that her personality and heart are huge. She genuinely lights up the room and her joy is infectious so everyone around her feels joyful, too. For example, when the wedding ceremony was over and our pastor announced as Mr. and Mrs. Allen, Rachel was so excited that she rushed the stage. Not out of any motive except her genuine joy and happiness and pure excitement. It was one of our favorite moments of the entire day. We are so blessed to have Rachel in our lives, especially me. I love getting to call Rachel my new sister and am excited about the relationship we are building.
So happy birthday, Rachel.
We love you more than you will ever know.










1 comment:

  1. This is very beautiful, as it was to see your relationship with Rachel on your wedding day. Good writing, sis.

    ReplyDelete