Tuesday, December 16, 2014

A Response Piece

It isn't often that you see your face on the internet.
Not just on your Facebook profile, but on the actual internet.
About nine months after Josh and I got married, this picture began circulating the web:





















Photo taken by the incredibly talented Grant Daniels. You can find his information here at  grantdanielsphotography.com




It started on Pinterest. I would log on, and there would be four or five different people who would have tagged me or sent it to me saying, "This is so crazy! Your picture is on Pinterest!"
Over the next year and a half, Josh and I have probably had over 150 people either tag or email us to say that they saw our picture on some random website. I have had mere acquaintances as well as total strangers recognize me from this picture. At first, it was pretty bizarre. I once tracked the picture to a tumblr page that showed it had been reblogged over 60,000 times. What?! That's insane! Our faces have been on 60,000 people's computers, phones, or tablets. But over time it has become pretty commonplace. Once every couple of months, someone will forward something to me and let me know the picture is still out there, and Josh and I will chuckle about how weird it all is. But it did begin to make me think, "What can we do with this? How can we use this as a positive thing?"

And then today, I received an unexpected message. A very sweet girl that I used to work with sent me a message making me aware that an article was going around and The Picture was being used as the cover. My first reaction was, "Here we go again..." But then I read the article. And wow. I just don't think the Lord could have been more clear in giving me an opportunity to use this picture for His glory.




The article is titled "5 Things You Can Do Right Now To Find A Husband In Your 20's" After reading the article, my pride and anger began to flare up. "How dare they put our faces on something like this?! Don't they have to ask our permission?! I do NOT want my face associated with something that I so completely disagree with!" But then as the dust settled, I began to realize that this was such an incredible opportunity. As of now, the article has been shared at least 1,000 times. There is no telling how many people have read it. I don't expect this response to be shared nearly that many times, but it is my sincere hope that someone will read it and find a little more hope and encouragement than the article that I am responding to.

The basic premise of the article is that it is totally okay for young girls in their twenties to be on the Husband Hunt and lists five ways to make the search a little easier. The hard thing about what this writer says is that so much of it sounds so close to being right, but instead it turns out so completely wrong.

She says,

"Marriage isn’t for everyone.
Are you sure that you want a lifelong commitment to one man? Are you confident that you can spend the rest of your life putting his needs before your own?
Honestly, that’s the basis of a good marriage — each of you putting the needs of the other at the top of your priority list."
This is one of the few things in the article that she and I agree on, but I'm pretty sure it isn't for the same reason. I feel like there are a few things I could touch on in this brief paragraph, but for the sake of time I'm going to focus on her question, "Are you confident that you can spend the rest of your life putting his needs before your own? Honestly, that’s the basis of a good marriage — each of you putting the needs of the other at the top of your priority list." Josh and I have only been married for two and half years, but man, the only thing I am confident in is that I am SO not confident I can spend the rest of my life putting his needs before my own. And I know Josh would say the same for me. The basis of a good marriage is not putting each other's needs first. The basis of a good marriage is looking at the other person and saying, "I am so broken and selfish and sinful, but if you will have me I will spend every day of my life working my hardest to love and serve and honor you, and when I fail (because I WILL fail), I'm asking you to forgive me, and help me, and push me to be better." And it's the other person looking back at you and saying "Woah, me too. I will forgive you when it is the last thing I want to do, and I will push you to be better, and I will give this thing everything that I've got if you'll do all of that for me too." The BASIS of a good marriage HAS to be Jesus. It just has to be. If it is anything else then I promise you, it will flounder. And that's not to say that just being a Christian is going to save your marriage. I'm a child of divorce in a Christian home. Putting the other person's needs above your own is definitely vital, but it isn't the answer. The willingness to choose to love someone who is guaranteed at some point not going to put your needs above their own is far more vital. 
Josh and I got married very young. I was just 20 when he proposed, and 21 when we were married. Before I met him, I had a life plan all set out to graduate, take a year off, maybe go to grad school, travel, and then start a career. Then Josh came in my life and everything was turned upside down. For the better? Yes. For the harder? Absolutely. ( I realize that "for the harder" is not a grammatically correct phrase, but work with me here.) So while I fit into this writer's category of a young, married 20 something, I want to be very clear:

Marriage is not the end all be all. 
Not even close.
This writer is encouraging young girls essentially to nail down a husband now because you're young and hot and if you wait 10 years to live your life then your chances of getting one of the good ones decrease like crazy. 
And my heart BREAKS to think about how many girls have read this and have taken her words to heart. 
She says,
"If you wait until you’re in your 30s (as in, “… I’m going to take the first 10 years out of college to build my career and then think about finding a husband and starting a family…”), you’ll be competing for the same men with women 10 years younger than you. That’s not a competition that you will fare well in.
Women in their 20s are fresh, dewy, innocent and irresistible to men… They have 10 more years of fertility than women in their 30s.
A man who has also taken 10 years after college to build his career, sow his wild oats, and is now ready to settle down and start a family, wants a bride who has a long fertility life ahead of her. At 35, your pregnancy is already considered high risk due to advanced maternal age.
You are at your most beautiful and most desirable in your early 20s, and should use this time to your very best advantage."
Women reading this- please, please hear me: These are NOT reasons to find a husband. Not now, not ever. I hate, hate that she writes this as if to pit women against one another, as if we don't struggle with comparison and jealousy enough. Marriage and dating should not be a competition. This idea that you should go out right now and marry some guy before your looks fade and before your fertility window closes or some younger, hotter girl scoops him up is absolutely devastating to me. Why? Because it promotes the idea of settling for something less than the very best of what God has planned for you just so that you will have a husband, instead of patiently continuing to live your life and trusting that there is so much more out there than a guy who wants to marry you just because you're pretty and you can give him babies. I know plenty of women who did not get married until they were 30+, and that's not to say that they couldn't if they had wanted to. They dated, and they had potential men in their lives, but they didn't rush into a marriage with a guy they weren't sure about just because their time was running up. They continued pursuing their dreams and careers, knowing full well that they might be single forever. And I can guarantee you that not a single one of their husbands thinks, "Man, I bet she was way hotter 10 years ago." 
Later on in the article she says,
"
Okay, so we agree that you should find a husband while you are a student, but men on campus aren’t interested in marriage.
How do you overcome that? Easy: Don’t have sex with them."
She goes on to say,
"
Girls, you know that as soon as you have sex with him, the relationship changes — irrevocably. At the risk of sounding old-fashioned, men won’t buy the cow if the milk is free.
This isn’t complicated game theory. If you offer men sex without commitment, you eliminate the incentive for men to commit."
I want to first say that, yes, I absolutely agree that sex changes a relationship in every way. Our generation has become so inundated with the normalcy of casual sex and I am really glad that this writer is seeing the flaw in that- but her advice so completely misses the mark. "If you offer men sex without commitment, you eliminate the incentive for men to commit." 
Young women, I cannot stress this enough:
Sex is not a toy.
Sex is not something to use in order to get a man to settle down. Withholding sex should never be used as a tool for manipulation, before marriage or during. The writer is so right when she says that sex changes things, but that is because we were each made to have one sexual partner and only inside of a covenant relationship. 
If you are getting married so that you can have sex, or if a man is marrying you so he can have sex with you, you are going to be severely disappointed
Sex is about 10% of marriage. If even. My husband uses the illustration that if you have 24 hours in a day, and one of those hours each day is spent having sex (which if we're being honest is probably not true in most cases, but if that's your marriage then power to you!), that is still 23 hours of the rest of the day spent NOT having sex, which in turn is 161 hours a week spent NOT having sex, and 616 hours a month spent NOT having sex, and so on and so forth. You get the picture. That is a heck of a lot of time to spend with someone NOT having sex. Don't get me wrong: sex is a crucial part of marriage, where intimacy, trust, and vulnerability are grown. But there is so, so much more to marriage than that. The writer talks about finding someone who goes to your school so that you will have things in common, and again, that's important as well, but there are things that go so much further and deeper than that, like respect, honesty, friendship, trust, unconditional love, extending grace and forgiveness, compassion, gentleness, humility...the list goes on. The man you look to marry does not have to excel in these things, in fact he probably won't. But he does need to be willing to work towards these things every single day, and be willing to love you when you aren't doing so well in those areas either. And if those things aren't being cultivated your marriage will fall apart. Again, sex is definitely important, but what's more important is that you and your spouse work well together outside the bedroom.
The article goes on to list five ways and places to hopefully meet the love of your life, but I'm not even going to hit on those. I could probably spend several more hours dissecting each of them but I feel like it is far more important for me to say this:
The overwhelming theme of this article, in my opinion, is that marriage is going to make you happy. Finding a husband is synonymous to finding happiness. Lock that guy down, and don't give him sex until he's ready to commit to you. 
I am still a rookie as far as marriage goes, but I know this to be true: If you are looking for total happiness in marriage, you are going to be so, so disappointed. If happiness is your goal, you are setting your husband up for intense and devastating failure. The expectations you put on him cannot be met, by him or any other man for that matter. Marriage is hard. It's work. It's wonderful and sweet and unlike any other relationship I've ever experienced, but if I relied on it to bring me total happiness then my marriage would fall apart. That's not to say that Josh doesn't make me happy; he does. But he also makes me mad, sad, confused, thrilled, silly, and a host of other emotions. Relying on someone else to make you happy is the fastest way to make you unhappy.
If you take nothing else from this post, please let it be this: the only thing that can fill you up and satisfy you is a relationship with Jesus. The only thing that will enable you to look at a sinful man and continue to love him the best that you can is a relationship with Jesus. The only thing that will keep you from walking out the door when you are angry and your husband is stubborn and you feel like you are at the end of it all, is a relationship with Jesus. Your beauty WILL fade, no matter how much botox or makeup you use. Your list of things in common will always differentiate and you will argue about these things for years to come. Your sex life will take time and effort and the magic of it all will die very quickly. Your children will be difficult and time consuming and you will have to fight to prioritize time with each other. It will be wonderful, and it will be work, but it will not fill up that aching hole that you feel every time you watch a romantic movie or attend a wedding. It might subdue it for a time, but it cannot satisfy. Only Jesus can. Jesus wants to draw you into himself and love you in a way that no husband ever could. There is no judgement, no shame, no condemnation, no criticism, no hatred, no bitterness in a relationship with Him. There is unconditional love, healing, and pure joy, which is so much better than simple happiness.

I realize that the majority of readers for this article are more than likely not on the same page as me when it comes to a relationship with Jesus Christ, and more than likely will not agree with my stance. But if this is a new concept to you, or if you have any questions, or if something about this resonates with you and you want to know more, comment to me or ask someone you know who is a Bible believing Christian. I would love to dive into this further with you and answer any questions you may have.

And if you are a 20 something thinking about getting married, good! You should be thinking about it. I hope every single person that reads this gets to experience the gift that marriage is. But you should not be basing your life around it. You should not be obsessing about it and planning your life around it when you have no prospect in sight. You should not be chasing after it and making it the ultimate goal for your life. You will miss out on so many good and wonderful things because you are idolizing something that is not guaranteed to happen.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. I apologize if it is scatter brained or doesn't read well. But I could not pass up this opportunity, or condone something with this message that has my face plastered all over it. If you care to, please share this message, and maybe we can counteract the other one that has been spread. 



28 comments:

  1. So encouraging. I really needed this. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so encouraging to read! Thanks for speaking Jesus' truth about marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean that you hope every single person reading that ISN'T gay gets to experience the gift that marriage is. Unless, of course, they 'repent' their gay sinfulness and settle down with a nice Christian member of the opposite sex. Tch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no need to add something that wasn't there. She in no way mentioned this at all and was genuinely trying to help people with experience and truth. That's unfair to ignore and then add that just because she happens to be a Christian.

      Delete
    2. "I hope every single person that reads this gets to experience the gift that marriage is."

      I'm quoting her and then calling her out on her hypocrisy. Unless she'd like to tell us that she's a Christian that accepts gay marriage, then she clearly does not mean this. Of course, I'd love to hear that from her, but I'm not holding my breath.

      Delete
    3. May I just comment that her words aren't at all hypocritical? Christians do believe that being homosexual *is* a choice, even if it may be a more difficult choice for some than others. I have known several people who were self-proclaimed gay men and women who, upon coming to know Jesus, were able to find redemption from that and enter into happily unbroken heterosexual relationships and marriages. She can hope that a LGBT person reading this article gets to experience the gift of marriage because there's a possibility that they won't always identify as such. I don't think she would agree that them entering into a gay marriage would be "experiencing the gift of marriage" because it is only a societal fabrication and imitation of what God actually intended marriage to be. It's no different than other versions of marriage our society promotes that are based on money and glamour and last only a few months. None of those are truly experiencing the gift of marriage.

      Delete
    4. Christians believe lots of things, but the proof is in the pudding. I've been presented with much more evidence that homosexuality is an inherent trait, rather than a choice. Since humans can be (and sometimes are) bisexual, it does not shock me that some self-proclaimed gay people have eventually found love in a member of the opposite sex - ESPECIALLY considering the social and religious pressures exerted on them by others to do so. Is being bisexual a choice? No. Some people inherently possess that flexibility.

      Others don't.

      I seriously doubt you can ever imagine what it is like to only ever be romantically and physically attracted to someone of the same gender as you. It's not something you get to choose, any more than you get to choose what personality type, skin color, or height/weight you are attracted to. To say otherwise would be claiming that a straight person could one day just choose to be gay, that someone with homophobia could turn around a week later and decide they're in love with someone of the same gender. It doesn't happen. If you, overflowofheart, are attracted to someone of the opposite gender and not attracted to someone of the same gender and I told you that you were only CHOOSING to not be attracted to the same gender, what would you say to me?

      All of marriage is a societal fabrication and it's a wonderful one, in my opinion. The concept of being life-bonded to someone. Even beyond that there's the socioeconomic and legal implications of being married. All of those things are denied to someone who is romantically and physically attracted only to someone of the same gender as they are. And for those people, the author does NOT hope they ever experience the gift of marriage.

      Delete
    5. As I comment on this post I do not wish to start an argument with you. I feel no amount of explaining my beliefs to you will change your mind and that's fine. I simply wish to give you some things to think about. I feel many Christians have made the mistake of holding nonbelievers to our standards. How unfair and unjust? We live by the words which God gave to us in the bible because we have made a commitment to do so, others have not made such a commitment. That being said I would like to point out a few things, there is also evidence of psychopaths or sociopaths who delight in killing people and watching them suffer. Now before you freak out, I am NOT trying to say that homosexuals are like murders AT ALL. I'm just using this to explain why even scientifically speaking people have the ability to make their own choices. People are not bound by being born one way or another. I believe with everything in me that the bible is true and God himself gave us the ability to make our own choices; right or wrong. Now it is a Christians job to make known the words of the bible, however it is not their job to force people to obey them. We are burdened for the world not mad at it and some Christians are indeed getting confused. This is a lesson we all need to learn, it is not my place to go to a site that is obviously homosexual supportive and post comments on how I thing they are wrong. The only thing I would accomplish is siring up stiff and hard feelings, in the same way I hope you consider the outcome of posting harsh things on a site that is obviously biblically supportive. I am only eighteen years old and do not mean you any disrespect by my comment, as I said in the beginning my only wish was to give you something's to think about. Thank you for your time.

      With respect, a servant of God.

      Delete
    6. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    7. I'm a Christian and I believe people born gay. I also firmly support gay rights and marriage. The Bible has been passed down by thousands of generations, what's to say that something got translated wrong?

      Delete
    8. Thank you, Katelyn! I am also a Christian who believes people are born guy, and I vigorously defend the right of anyone to be married, regardless of gender mix.

      Overflowofheart, shame on you for pretending to say what all Christians believe! Perhaps the statement is more naïve than arrogant - if you need some sources of Christians who might open you eyes, in addition to your heart, about the breadth of "what Christians believe" please let me know and I will happily share.

      DDRTigress, you sound as if you have been victimized by Christians, or are close to someone who has been. If so, I'm sorry. But you are picking a fight without knowing what the author really believes. Yes, we need to hear it from her mouth, but until you do, one way or the other, please don't be as presumptious as overflowofheart in thinking you know "what Christians believe."

      I think the author makes a lot of good points, but agree with the posts that object to "the basis of a good marriage MUST be Jesus" -- my goodness, what a naïve thought that people all over the world must not be able to have a good marriage because their cultural heritage is something other than Christianity. There are a lot of young posters here -- please people, go live in another country. Expand your horizons a bit before you become so convinced that your way is the only way! If your Christian faith depends on knowing that it's the only way for you to live a healthy, productive, and holy life, just get ready to have that illusion shattered at some point. Better that you decide what is right for YOU, rather than what is right for everyone else. That is the foundation of a faith that can continue to flourish on and on through your years.

      Delete
  4. I love the sincerity and honesty you show in this! Thank goodness we have a Savoir who offers true fulfillment :) Thanks for sharing and congrats on two years of the beginning of an amazing journey with your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read the Princeton article when I came across yours. The former gave me a bad taste in my mouth, and I was sad to see other Christian girls passing it to each other. Thank you for standing up against the idea that marriage will bring complete happiness. Thanks for speaking the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so good! I love how The Lord used u in such an unexpected way! What a cool opportunity!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this! I'm a kanakuk girl and this made my day:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my heavens. The Lord spoke through you today! Not only through the wisdom of your words ("Relying on someone else to make you happy is the fastest way to make you unhappy." Yes.), but also through the whole situation!
    Girls all over the world saw that photo and dream of experiencing the Joy you expressed! Thank you for reminding us all that marriage is just the union of two broken people, made whole by their Heavenly Father! <3 God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. While I agree that your article was beautifully and thoughtfully written (it was), I disagree with your statement that "The BASIS of a good marriage HAS to be Jesus. It just has to be." I'm a Christian woman, but I have witnessed extremely successful, loving and supportive relationships from atheist couples, muslim couples, gay couples, inter-faith couples, and even an arranged marriage (it still happens). I think the basis of a good marriage is mutual love and respect for your partner, and a willingness to weather the storms together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't need to personally know you to see you are a sweet person and full of wisdom. Thanks for the encouragement Chandler, and for being bold enough to speak such truth. This was a good reminder for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've decided to share this again and again. It's raw, honest, and dripping with God's grace. I'm sorry you and your husbands faces are being advertised for other things, but this post is so glorifying to our Father. And I hope, despite backlash you've received, you hold true to that. Our father is indefinitely smiling down on yall! And personally, as a 21 year old Pastors kid, and kid of divorced Christians, who are pretty cynical when it comes to marriage, I was encouraged completely. Can't wait to keep sharing this. Be the light sweet girl. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is eloquent and beautifully written. Being a Christian in my early 20s and in school, marriage and relationships are budding all around and it is difficult not to see that as the priority... To find that for myself. But marriage is not a scavenger hunt or a competition! God will reveal the who, when, how, ect when it's time. And the point of this life we are given is not to find "the one"... we are here to live for the King, to glorify him in everything, to bring him praise, to bring others to him, and to live with Him in eternity. Husbands are good for many things, but they are made as partners for us and us as helpers to them in our walk with Jesus. :)
    Your response is so encouraging, and you exute such joy in Christ... It's beautiful. Thank you for your wise insight and your boldness in Christ to put this out here for us. It is greatly appreciated. All the best!
    Love,
    A sister

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm pretty sure I'm one of those people that has pinned your wedding picture. If not me, it's definitely been on my news feed several times. It's so encouraging to know that the joy on your faces comes from The Lord! As a 21 year old in college, it's great to hear from someone on the "other side" of marriage. I agree completely with all that you said! Your response was thoughtful and well written. It's something I try to remind myself and girls my age. When dating, our ultimate goal should be to encourage our boyfriend as a sister in Christ! If we live in such a way and succeed at that, all the while seeking fulfillment from The Lord who will NOT disappoint, we will find not only happiness, but joy! Thanks you again, and I hope your message spreads the way your photo did.

    ReplyDelete
  14. eeeps, this is SO marvelous. SO. VERY. :D Thanks for it - I'm currently a Senior in college and literally everyone is getting married. Sometimes it feels so against the grain to actually admit that I LOVE my life, as "single" as it is. The funny thing is... I've never let my singleness bother me. To say you're single is to almost lament that you're alone, but with Christ, truly? You're NEVER alone. And that in and of itself is a beautiful thing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing! I needed to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! I am thankful for you sharing and I agree with you! I have such a hard time as a 20 year old college student trying to focus on my relationship with God, instead of my singleness. But I know once I am in a relationship I will miss out on the things I could be doing if I were single! It just comes down to being patient and living in the season we are in :) Be happy with what God is doing in the present instead of wishing for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  17. God is going to bless you so much for writing this, because you have blessed so many people with it. Thank you for telling girls that no matter how early you "catch" a husband you will never be fulfilled if you and your husband don't have Jesus in your hearts and lives. This was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for this beautiful post! With so many articles aimed toward women about relationships, it is really important to have a reminder that only Jesus truly fulfills us. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this post. Recently I have been reading Robin Jones Gunn and Tricia Goyer's book "Praying for Your Future Husband." Many of the points you make in your post correlate beautifully with what Robin and Tricia write about. As a young women about to go out into the real world in the next year of so, it is uplifting to read a post written by a God loving person in a Jesus filled relationship. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Chandler.....I doubt that you remember me from First Pres but I do remember watching you grow up. I am proud of you and proud for you. You have grown to be an amazing Christain woman. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete